    SubjectRe: NETBEUI support?
    On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > What's the status of the NETBEUI support in the kernel? The four files under
    > linux/net/netbeui have been there a long while but they have no Makefile and
    > don't compile when I attempt to do so manually.
    >
    > As usual, I have a vacation job installing Linux in a previously
    > Windows-dominated environment. It'd have been nice to be able to use SMB
    > networking without having to install an IP stack on _all_ the Windows boxes.
    >
    > Was the support abandoned because of the fundamental brokenness of the
    > protocol design?

    Please don't use NETBEUI. It encapsulates NETBIOS packets into BROADCAST
    packets. This means that every machine on your LAN will receive all data
    meant to be sent to a single work-station. It has to read that
    Micro$garbage and dump it on the floor. Set up your Micro$tuff to run
    tcp/ip or everybody, including the Micro$stuff will suffer. The machines
    will all run slow because of the interrupt load and the low-level network
    load, even if they are not doing any networking at the time.

    I have a simple DOS program that, when run, calibrates itself to read
    100% by adjusting a loop-count that uses the BIOS timer to start and
    stop it. After the calibration, it asks for the network wire to be
    connected.

    When the Window$ machines were running NETBEUI, the reading went to
    4. This means that 96 percent of the CPU time was wasted dumping
    NETBEUI packets. Your mileage may vary, if you have a very fast CPU,
    and the network card and driver is exceptional, you may only lose
    50% of your CPU horsepower.

    I have been trying to get all of Analogic to not use NETBEUI. When
    a network backup is occurring between two Micro$garbage machines,
    I have to disconnect my network when using Linux on my 166 MHz
    Pentium. Otherwise, the machine is severly overloaded and takes
    several hundred milliseconds to even echo a character (very visible).

    Futher, a kernel compile that normally takes 18-20 minutes takes well
    over an hour.

    No. No not use that crap.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.90 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.024 / U:32.684 seconds]