SubjectRe: 2.1.90 toxic to my system

Sigh!

2.1.88 seemed mostly rock solid for me... (a VC would get stuck after a
few days of uptime)

I went to pre90-1 then pre90-2 then 2.1.90..
All of them myseriously lock after sitting at the console overnight or
during the day with no activity... :( No logs.. And no sysrq.. The
screensaver just wont go away (how do you turn off the console screen
saver anyways? setterm -blank 0 doesn't seem to work..?)..

Currently,
2.1.90 SMP (tyan IIID)
64MB ram
Buslogic BT-958
IDE Cdrom
SB

The lock occures both when X is running and when it isn't.. Is no one else
seeing this?

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Steve VanDevender wrote:

> 2.1.90 is the first 2.1 kernel I've tried installing. So far
> it's pretty disappointing on my system, as it tends to lock up
> within a few minutes of booting. I would be happy to provide
> more information if I could figure out how to get it; usually the
> lockups freeze the system so hard that only hitting the reset
> button produces a response, and the couple of times I was able to
> type things or switch VCs on the way down I didn't think to hit
> one of the magic keys to see if it would tell me where it was
> wedged. This system is running fine under 2.0.33. If someone
> does take an interest in this I'd also be happy to provide
> whatever hardware and configuration details that you request.
>
> I sort of suspect it's related to SCSI oddities; under 2.0.33 I
> have to boot my system with "BusLogic=0,1" to prevent SCSI
> timeouts under heavy I/O on my BusLogic 545C. Strangely, lilo
> seems to be very good at triggering catatonia. It always gets
> through the initial fscks on reboot fine, though.
>
> The only other problem I've seen in the brief times 2.1.90 was
> running for me is that the new sound driver exhibits a behavior
> where processes that are writing to /dev/audio don't seem to exit
> when the sound is done.
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.054 / U:0.084 seconds]