SubjectRe: kmod fix
On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Nahshon wrote:

> > Sorry about the reply to my own message.
> > Damn, I realized after I hung up that the kmod code I presented causes
> > kmod to create little zombies of itself. I'm not really that strong on
> > kernel thread stuff... Could anyone know why this is happening? Thanks,
>
> Greg,
> Another problem with your patch is in the call to interruptible_sleep_on
> in request_module.
> Any signal may wake the caller before modprobe has finished and a lot will
> be lost.
Okay - I was under the impression that only that specific queue could
cause request_module to wake up, but then my only source of information is
quick perusals of the code

> About zombies. The parent process (the main kmod thread) must wait for
> its children.
>
> I'm working on a fix (based on your patch) that will fix these problems
> and also remove the limit on the number of request_modules served at the
> same time.
Yeah - I was toying with the idea of implementing a linked list to store
the data, but the only way I could figure to do this involved another
system to prevent two functions from access the data at the same time,
making the code _really_ nasty. Good luck.

> Itai

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.051 / U:0.500 seconds]