SubjectRe: Warning, cua2 opened, ...
   Date: 	Sat, 14 Mar 1998 00:07:40 -0400
From: "Garst R. Reese" <reese@isn.net>

is a deprecated tty callout device.
Don't know who is issuing this msg. But the PPP 3.3.3 docs and the
pcmcia docs say to use cua, and pcmcia-cs-3.0.1-12Mar. sets things up
this way. Maybe whoever wrote the error msg. should send some mail and
change the error msg to specify what it should be changed too.
e.g.
Please change cua to xxx.
I presume it should be ttyS, and yes I also read devices.txt

No, the cua* devices are in fact the depcreated devices. If the PPP and
pcmcia documentation say to use cua, now's a good time to get them
fixed.

(And programs updated to properly open POSIX serial devices...)

This shouldn't come as a surprise to people; I've been only warning
people that /dev/cua was a crock that should go away, oh, for several
years now. I've had at least one getty maintainer ask if I could just
completely eliminate /dev/cua support outright in 2.2 (since the
incorrect use of cua devices by users caused him support headaches), but
I thought that was a bit too harsh. Thus the warning...

- Ted

P.S. Paul Gortmaker's patches to display more information about which
programs were using the /dev/cuaXX devices is a Good Thing. I should
have thought of doing that, but I didn't.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.081 / U:0.132 seconds]