SubjectRe: [patch] x86, generic speedup, do we need 'cld'?

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:
> i've noticed that we do 'cld' way too often. Maybe there is some
> nonobvious reason to use it, but isnt it so that all kernel entry points
> do a cld currently.

This should be fine as long as you verify that all kernel entry points do
have the cld - which I think they do. I'm nervous about it, though,
because even if there _is_ a missing cld somewhere, it would very seldom
show up as a bug (because almost nothing sets cld, so even with a missing
cld it _usually_ does the right thing).

Finding potential bugs brought about by this change would be fairly
impossible, which is why I don't feel like doing it..