SubjectRe: mmap() versus read() and embedded systems.
On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 03:29:38PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> ralf@uni-koblenz.de said:
> > That's what PIC code is required for ELF DSOs on most architectures.
> > The Intel code would use large amounts of memory for trying to build
> > DSOs without using PIC for them. Other architectures are even less
> > forgiving.
>
> > A small amount of RAM is used for PLT and GOT when using PIC code but
> > the win in memory by sharing code exceeds it. Aside of that many
> > glibc programs will pull a second, shared copy of libc into memory via
> > the NSS stuff, anyway, so the DSOs are out there to assimilate you
> > anyway ;-)
>
> OK. PIC has to be Position Independent Code?
> ELF I can't remember but I know what it is.
>
> WTF do the rest of the TLAs mean?

Well, PLT == Procedure Linkage Table, GOT == Global Offset Table,
DSO == Dynamic Shared Object, the official ELFish word for shared lib,
NSS == Name Service Switch, the /etc/nsswitch.conf thing in glibc and
Solaris and yes, abrev. is the abrev. for abrev. ;-)

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.039 / U:0.076 seconds]