    SubjectRe: 2.1.89 broken?

    On 11-Mar-98 Rik van Riel wrote:
    > When you just grab random disk cache memory, that piece
    > of data might be needed again, and has to be reread from
    > the (spread-out) filesystem.
    > Swapping, OTOH, is done in a clustered way (less seek-time)
    > on a small part of the disk (still less seek-time).
    >
    > I would be interested though, in the partition layout of
    > the people who saw worse/better performance:
    > begin end
    > worse: data sys data swap
    > better: data swap sys data
    > ???

    In my particular case, data, sys and swap are all on separate hard
    disks. The swap partition shares a drive which I use for archiving so it
    sees little use and for all intents and purposes is its own disk.

    > Maybe something like this could explain the difference.
    > Personally, when I switched from swap at the far end of
    > the disk to swap in the middle (somewhere autumn '95) I
    > saw a _HUGE_ improvement.
    > Now, I tend to tune my stuff for swap-in-the-middle situations,
    > since I only have swap-in-the-middle as a test situation (and
    > who wants to run with slow swap anyway?).
    >
    > If this explains the difference, I'll fix it by making
    > page-aging tunable for the following categories:
    > - user pages
    > - cache pages
    > - buffer pages
    > - shared pages (?)

    I like that last idea, however I think the big problem is the
    amount of data the kernel transfers to swap at once - like megs and megs
    in one shot. The system freezes pretty hard during these massive swap
    phases.
    -Scott

    ---
    Scott Lampert | Home Page: http://www.heavymetal.org
    <fortunato@heavymetal.org> | PGP Key: finger fortunato@heavymetal.org
    divided by zero."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.026 / U:0.048 seconds]