       From: (H. Peter Anvin)
    Date: 7 Mar 1998 05:15:41 GMT

    > Please tell me, when you think, that I am totally wrong and that the
    > idea of a bootable EXT2 CD is complete nonsens. I don't know much about
    > EXT2 and bootable CDs.

    Why not simply boot with an ISO 9660/RockRidge filesystem as root?
    Unlike some other operating system, Linux can use an ISO 9660
    filesystem as root with no problems...

    There's another reason why most distribution makers would prefer to use
    a ISO 9660/RockRidge filesystem format for CD's. Other operating
    systems can read ISO 9770 CD's.

    So for example, if you're currently running Windows, and you want to
    upgrade OS's, it's useful if you can mount the distribution CD long
    enough to browse the disk's documentation, or download boot floppy
    images (if their computer doesn't support the El Torito format), etc.

    So while I don't think the idea of a bootable ext2 cd is complete
    nonsense, I'm not sure it would actually be used and be useful for
    distribution maintainers.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:6.704 seconds]