SubjectFIC PA-2007 & Linux

(Please excuse me if this seems off-topic, but it raises perhaps an
important kernel issue.)

I have an FIC PA-2007 Socket 7 motherboard with a Pentium 133 CPU
installed... the board has worked flawlessly under Windows 95 and Windows
NT 4.0 (including image processing with 128MB RAM installed and over 100MB
of swap on top of that). I just recently installed Linux onto this
machine (2.1.85 with all packages listed in Documentation/Changes). I am
running GNU C 2.7.2.3 on kernel 2.1.85 and I cannot compile any large
applications (ie. compiler, kernel, etc) without SIG11s occurring
randomly. Before anybody jumps to conclusions, I consider myself a
competent system builder and have tried replacing the board, the memory
(from two different suppliers and many different configurations) and
NOTHING has helped.

Please, I do not want to hear "it works here", I want to know why this is
happening... Given my experience running Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 on
this machine under far greater than average load, I would have to argue
that it's not a hardware problem (yes, I've heard this "Windows doesn't
use the system like Linux uses it" bullshit).

Any comments?

Thanks.

Mike.