    SubjectSubject: Re: IRQ 19 with the IO-APIC? (also IPv6)
    > On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Bernd Wolf wrote:
    >
    > > [...] If giving the "pirq=0" the systems seems to be very GOOOOD! BUT:
    > > my NE2000-clone gets the irq=18 and the scsi says something of irq=19 ?!
    > > is this ok? [...]
    >
    > yes, this is indeed intended. With this we have more interrupts, thus more
    > devices might be installed, which could not share interrupts previously.
    > Newer motherboards have all kinds of kludges in them like mandatory USB
    > interrupts, and in some cases it might prove useful to have those low IRQs
    > freed up a bit.
    >
    > this is how 'high irqs' show up normally:
    >
    > CPU0 CPU1
    > 0: 11816 0 XT PIC timer
    > 1: 88 55 IO-APIC keyboard
    > 2: 0 0 XT PIC cascade
    > 8: 0 0 IO-APIC parport0
    > 12: 0 0 IO-APIC PS/2 Mouse
    > 13: 4 0 XT PIC fpu
    > 16: 21 21 IO-APIC aic7xxx
    > 18: 334 333 IO-APIC 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx
    > 19: 3476 3479 IO-APIC aic7xxx
    >
    > IRQ16, IRQ18, IRQ19 were 'low irqs' previously, now we map them to 'high
    > vectors' with the IO-APIC. There are 8 new vectors, IRQ16 being the
    > lowest, IRQ23 the highest.
    >
    > - -- mingo

    I have been trying to understand PCI and the IO-APIC code. Is IO-APIC available on non-smp machines, or on a SMP motherboard with
    only one chip in it? It seems like a newer/faster/better way of doing interrupts that breaks PCI away from ISA concepts, is this
    accurate? If so these are true does 2.1.8x support the IO-APIC on non-smp?

    Also, I saw someone say IPv6 doesn't work. Did it ever in 2.1.x? IF so can someone point me in the direction of the projects
    page and I will try to at least help clean some of it up. (Again, I am new to kernel hacking but I really wish to add
    something/anything positive back to Linux and its community).

    Trever Adams
    arabian@onramp.net