    SubjectRe: What is accepted into the standard kernel sources ?
    Henrik Storner wrote:

    > Forgive me for intruding on the technical discussions here

    You're forgiven (at least by me), and I think thisis a good place to ask.

    > Personally, I cannot see the big, conceptual difference between a
    > binary module that contains "firmware", and a binary module that
    > contains the equivalent of firmware, but is executed by the host CPU
    > rather than some embedded processor.

    Well, it goes like this. If I buy a chunk of hardware thathas "firmware"
    downloaded into it, I'm reasonably sure that
    not much will change. I'm not going to be changing the
    chunk of hardware.
    Now, if I buy your stuff (Olicom's), and I choose to use
    your driver method - where the library is executed by the
    host CPU (and let's not quibble here, it is a library,
    nothing at all like firmware). What do I do when I want
    to run a different CPU? How in the world do I recompile
    the library so the new and different (presumably better)
    CPU can execute it? I can't. I'm reliant on you (Olicom)
    to do that.
    The big conceptual difference is one of perception, and
    of who owns what, and what one can do with what one owns
    and what one doesn't own. Just my opinion.

    > In a wider perspective, a hardware vendor who wants to support Linux
    > currently has three options:
    >
    > 1) Release hardware specs and let someone write a driver.
    > 2) Write a driver himself and release it in binary form only.
    > 3) Provide an API for dealing with the hardware, and have someone
    > develop a driver based on this API (the "Olicom" way).

    2B) Write a driver himself and release it in source form

    You are a hardware vendor, aren't you? Do you want to sell more of
    your olicom cards, or do you want to sell software?

    > I've always thought of the Linux community to be rather pragmatic -
    > the "if it's useful and doesn't bother anything else, let us have it"
    > approach. So I hope this can generate a useful debate, and is not shot
    > down immediately with a "we want full source, or nothing" statement.
    >
    > But even if you are not quite as pragmatic as I thought, Linux is
    > still a beautiful OS.

    And, having said that - I think you'll sell (or continue to) your cards,
    and people will happily download stuff from your web site and use it all.
    I would. And I happen to know where there is an Olicom TR card lying
    around here. The only question is what cpu does your library run on...
    -Dan

    --
    Dan A. Dickey http://www.transition.com/
    mailto:ddickey@transition.com

    begin: vcard
    fn: Dan Dickey
    n: Dickey;Dan
    org: Transition Networks, Inc.
    adr: 6475 City West Parkway;;;Eden Prairie;MN;55344;USA
    email;internet: ddickey@transition.com
    title: Sr. Software Engineer
    tel;work: 612-941-7600
    tel;fax: 612-941-2322
    x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
    x-mozilla-html: TRUE
    version: 2.1
    end: vcard

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:3.006 / U:0.612 seconds]