SubjectRe: [Sound] Getting MIDI working, getting modules autoloading
Jim Bray wrote:

> And MIDI will work, but _only_ if you load the module adlib_card with
> insmod. Because for the moment, kerneld is unable to load a _minor_
> device, I mean that it can only load a driver being provided a major
> number.
Jim,
the synthesizer device is not MIDI !! It just can be used to
play midi files. I never used "real" MIDI but I know the difference.

I did not read the original question and I do not know
which sound card Be us using, or if Ben is interested in having
MIDI or the synth device.

MIDI is broken with the mad16 class driver for the simple
reason that the uart401 is probed with the wrong IO address
(no separate mpu_io and mpu_irq like in the sound blaster driver).

About autoloading, there is a big improvement with the last
patch posted by Thomas Sailer. Any other "load-on-demand" method
is not good, because the card driver (sb.o in your case) will unload
itself before the main sound module (sound.o). Then sound may
never work again until you manually load sb.o or unload sound.o.
(or wait long enough until sound.o unloads itself, but you should
not try anything because it will just fail but reset the module
timer).

Itai
--
Itai Nahshon nahshon@actcom.co.il
Also nahshon@vnet.ibm.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:5.320 / U:0.080 seconds]