    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

    On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

    > On 27 Feb 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >
    > > Why is GGI messing around with the keyboard at all? I wasn't convinced
    > > about GGI before, but messing around with a keyboard makes me less and
    > > less optimistic about the dang thing.
    > >
    > > Linus
    >
    > Multiconsole Support.

    No, thank you very much.

    I certainly support the notion of multiple consoles, but I do NOT support
    the totally braindamaged notion that this would imply a tighter coupling
    between keyboard/mouse/graphics.

    I can see multiple mice for the same display, and multiple displays for
    the same mouse. In short, there is NO linkage at all between the display
    and the keyboard, any more than there is a linkage between the display and
    a serial line or the display and a sound card.

    In short, I'd suggest tge GGI people reconsider quickly if they really
    expect em to ever consider them seriously.

    > GGI/Evstack seems to be evolving into a new IO subsystem (console wise
    > atlest) which is not a bad thing considering how tightly the two devices
    > are intertwined.

    I really don't see any tightness there at all. There's a question of
    "echo" in text mode of a keyboard, but that's a fairly separate issue and
    should be considered such.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.021 / U:0.052 seconds]