    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
    On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > Err.... I'm not convinced at all this is a good idea to route all TTY
    > lines through the EvStack system. Recall that some TTY outputs need to
    > be extremely efficient --- think PPP running at 460kbaud, or even higher
    > speeds in some cases. Nothing I've seen about EvStack has convinced me
    > that it would be efficient for this type of thing. It may be find for
    > keyboard input, but that doesn't mean it'll handle high-volume data
    > transfer. Let's not make the STREAMS mistakes again, shall we?

    I was thinking more that the EvStack mapping code could be
    designed so that it could also be plugged in as a line discipline
    (or part of one). If you didn't want a mapping you wouldn't
    enable it. It needn't affect performance when it isn't enabled
    and it needn't push the whole tty interface under EvStack
    generally.

    I would be one of the last to suggest anything remotely
    STREAMS like!

    Mike

    | Mike Jagdis | Internet: mailto:mike@roan.co.uk |
    | Roan Technology Ltd. | |
    | 54A Peach Street, Wokingham | Telephone: +44 118 989 0403 |
    | RG40 1XG, ENGLAND | Fax: +44 118 989 1195 |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.022 / U:0.600 seconds]