SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Err.... I'm not convinced at all this is a good idea to route all TTY
> lines through the EvStack system. Recall that some TTY outputs need to
> be extremely efficient --- think PPP running at 460kbaud, or even higher
> speeds in some cases. Nothing I've seen about EvStack has convinced me
> that it would be efficient for this type of thing. It may be find for
> keyboard input, but that doesn't mean it'll handle high-volume data
> transfer. Let's not make the STREAMS mistakes again, shall we?

I was thinking more that the EvStack mapping code could be
designed so that it could also be plugged in as a line discipline
(or part of one). If you didn't want a mapping you wouldn't
enable it. It needn't affect performance when it isn't enabled
and it needn't push the whole tty interface under EvStack

I would be one of the last to suggest anything remotely

| Mike Jagdis | Internet: |
| Roan Technology Ltd. | |
| 54A Peach Street, Wokingham | Telephone: +44 118 989 0403 |
| RG40 1XG, ENGLAND | Fax: +44 118 989 1195 |