    SubjectRe: predictable filenames problem

    On Fri, 27 February 1998, Peter Benie wrote:
    > There is already a libc function that opens a file without the
    > application having to chose a filename - see 'man tmpfile'.

    I know. I was suggesting a syscall to better support it.

    > Having a system call would make tmpfile more efficient, but I can't
    > think of any programs creating so many temporary files that a system
    > call would make a noticable difference.

    The syscall would be faster, mostly because it doesn't have to do a
    linear search through the directory looking for a file with the same
    name - it just allocates an inode. If the file name is not actually
    needed, why spending time creating it?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:0.988 seconds]