SubjectRe: predictable filenames problem

On Fri, 27 February 1998, Peter Benie wrote:
> There is already a libc function that opens a file without the
> application having to chose a filename - see 'man tmpfile'.
I know. I was suggesting a syscall to better support it.

> Having a system call would make tmpfile more efficient, but I can't
> think of any programs creating so many temporary files that a system
> call would make a noticable difference.
The syscall would be faster, mostly because it doesn't have to do a
linear search through the directory looking for a file with the same
name - it just allocates an inode. If the file name is not actually
needed, why spending time creating it?

Tudor

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.073 / U:0.140 seconds]