    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
    'Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote with particular insight...'
    > Now, I've been explicit about defining my terms. Would you like to be
    > specific about defining yours, please, and be concrete about where all
    > of these "input_stack" and "keyboard mappers" might live? I can see
    > problems already, but I don't want to make assumptions about how you
    > think the brave new GGI world will work.

    The Brave New GGI World

    event: A keypress, mouse movement, or command
    that is passed through an evstack

    evstack: A handler that processes/filters/
    acts on events sent to it.

    stack tree: A tree of evstacks

    /dev/event: At any point in the tree, a /dev/event
    `hook' can be inserted that reads
    events from the parent of the node,
    and can write events to the child.
    Allows for user-space implementation
    of what would normally be kernel code.

    scroller: An interface to control text consoles.
    Provides mode setting, scrolling,
    font control, text display, etc.
    Display can be KGI driver, `null',
    a Braille display, etc...

    input device: A special evstack that generates
    keypress/mouse/etc events and
    receives control (head switch,
    capslock, etc) events.

    output device: (ie, pc speaker) receives control

    input_stack: The stack tree that processes
    events from input devices.

    console_stack: The stack tree that recieves CmdTtyWrite

    termstack: A VT's emulation stack. Recieves CmdTtyWrite
    events, draws on a scroller.

    The Overview

    |----input devices ----------\
    | |
    | input_stack
    | |
    | console_stack <- hold active VT#
    | / | \
    | xterm xterm xterm <- xterm emu termstacks
    | | | |
    | VT1 VT2 VT3 <- scrollers
    | | | |
    | \ | /
    | \ | /
    | KGI Head 0

    Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI -
    NT 5.0 is the last nail in the Unix coffin. Interestingly, Unix
    isn't in the coffin... It's wondering what the heck is sealing
    itself into a wooden box 6 feet underground...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.021 / U:7.592 seconds]