    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

    Jim> At 02:37 PM on 1998 February 27, Jes Degn Soerensen did write:
    >> There is a difference, the number of different graphics boards to
    >> support is enormous, I don't belive it will be possible to keep it
    >> all in sync with the kernel, it will require kernel updates to
    >> older systems in order to use new graphics boards etc. etc. Right
    >> now the XFree team does most of that work for us.

    Jim> Why is graphics such a special case? By that logic:

    Jim> The number of sound cards is enormous -> It requires kernel
    Jim> updates to use new sound boards -> Let's get rid of /dev/audio
    Jim> and farm it out to userland instead, hitting the hardware
    Jim> directly with one of the many sound server binaries

    Jim> The number of ethernet cards is enormous -> It requires kernel
    Jim> updates to use new ethernet cards -> SUID root ethernet "drivers"

    How many different sound and Ethernet boards do exist compare to the
    number of graphcis boards?

    Jim> etc., etc. You seem to imply that all these things should be
    Jim> thrown out,

    No I do not.

    [snip]
    Jim> The
    Jim> answer to this is not to throw out GGI but to break up the
    Jim> kernel, which according to many people on this list should
    Jim> probably happen eventually. Then people can decide for
    Jim> themselves what they like.

    Breaking up the kernel will be a serious disadvantage, maybe not to
    you as a user who only uses a certain part, which may be in the main
    tarball. However, it will be almost impossible to maintain.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.023 / U:0.064 seconds]