SubjectRe: even the press likes us ;-)
Date
In article <6d38pq$r6n$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
>Followup to: <19980224213254.13519@uni-koblenz.de>
>By author: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
>In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>>
>> > Probably was picked based on price/performance... my guess would be
>> > with emphasis on price. Alphas and SPARCs are both very expensive.
>>
>> Yes, that was the reason. The middle and lower class MIPS chips offer a
>> very good price / performance ratio. The high end MIPS stuff is expensive
>> similar expensive like other RISCs and also requires very expensive chipsets,
>> cooling etc. while the CPU used in the Cobalt product gets about 30 degrees
>> Celsius when loaded and stays at almost ambient temperature when idle.
>> Means there is not even a heat sink on the CPU and therefore the the Cobalt
>> system very silent - and reliable.
>>

>What about StrongARM?

What David left unmentioned is that the company was founded by people
who knew the MIPS. So intel and StrongARM probably weren't on the radar
even if they could have been cheaper (I'm not saying they are, system
costs are less dependent on the CPU than on many other factors, and
integration factors play a huge role)

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.045 / U:1.420 seconds]