SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
On 25 Feb 1998, Jes Degn Soerensen wrote:

> Stefan> Ok, I will rephrase and comment. You _have_ to use an ioctl if
> Stefan> you want to go from userspace to kernelspace, and yes, that is
> Stefan> slow. That's why we are using a buffer where we can store
> Stefan> multiple acceleration commands and do several at once.
>
> Ok and that is in my oppnion on of the biggest problems, I don't like
> the acceleration for tons of graphics card being put into the kernel,
> be it using modules or not.

No no no.. we only put in the ones that are available for the specific
card that a driver supports (well, some are so common that they are always
there, but these are very few), and the rest is userspace.

> Sorry, don't own a PC myself ;-) and I don't have the time to port it
> to the m68k. That is why I rely a bit on the performance Geert
> reported back when he did try this.

Ues, I can agree that it is a problem that we are x86 people only, and we
would love to have some m68k people onboard. But right now we haven't, and
so we have to do our best and plan for it, and I think we are doing that
really well.

As for Gert's comments, you said it yourself: "..back when...". I do
really think that a lot has changed since then, and that the figures he
reported then are no longer up to date.

That's just my belief and understanding though. Should it be that Gert
tested it yesterday he is welcome to correct me.

-Stefan

| Stefan Mars |Student, Applied physics & Electrical engineering |
| Bjoernkaerrsgatan 15B:30 |Linkoping Institute of Technology |
| S-584 36 Linkoping | |
| Sweden |Email: mars@lysator.liu.se Phone: +46 (0)13175384 |
| Maintainer of The THX Home Cinema Buyers Guide, located at |
| http://www.lysator.liu.se/%7Emars/thxguide.html |
\--------------------- PGP key available through finger ----------------------/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:1.637 / U:1.128 seconds]