    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
    On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Stefan Mars wrote:
    > > On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > >
    > > > Please do so. This mail was mostly meant as 'some people have valid
    > > > objections to ggi' :-).
    > >
    > > No, that would be "Some people have valid objections to the current state
    > > of ggi without knowing what is being worked on in the project :)"
    > IMHO, GGI still has no strong concepts to support accelerated operations
    > on PC GX cards. XFree86 has a strong concept, XAA. Not using acceleration
    > puts us back into graphics stone-age .. (for windowing that is, some cool
    > games like Quake do their own stuff).
    > just compare XGGI and XFree86 xbench numbers on an accelerated card...

    May I ask which card you tested?

    > just look at how Win95 and NT have ducked this problem, Win95 gives full
    > access to user code, NT 4.0 has put the graphics code into the kernel. GGI
    > would be something like NT 3.51, dead slow doing graphics, and no games
    > would run on it at sane speeds ...

    May I again point out that we are not finished, and should be a lot faster
    when we are. If you see something wrong with the way we are trying to do
    acceleration, then please say in _what_ way you think we are wrong.

    | Stefan Mars |Student, Applied physics & Electrical engineering |
    | Bjoernkaerrsgatan 15B:30 |Linkoping Institute of Technology |
    | S-584 36 Linkoping | |
    | Sweden |Email: Phone: +46 (0)13175384 |
    | Maintainer of The THX Home Cinema Buyers Guide, located at |
    | |
    \--------------------- PGP key available through finger ----------------------/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:74.344 seconds]