    SubjectRe: ATAPI CDROM error message
    On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Jon Torrez wrote:
    > > <WWW>I keep getting the following error when trying to change my CDROM
    > > <WWW>motor spindown timer. Any ideas what could be causing it?
    > > <WWW>Kernel bug? Shitty hardware? My guess is that it is the latter.
    > > I would not doubt your hardware not liking zero seconds.
    > I don't think it's that it doesn't like it, but rather that
    > something is broken, either hdparm, the driver for ATAPI CDROMS,
    > or else the firmware on the CDROM.

    I also think it's the hardware. When a >24 speed CDROM is
    running for too long, you'll notice that the CD is kinda
    'warm'. Now imagine a CD spinning several weeks (!) on that
    speed. That would 'drastically reduce' the lifespan of both
    the player and the CD :-)

    It's not a bug, it's a feature,

    | For Linux mm-patches, go to | "I'm busy managing memory.." |
    | my homepage (via LinuxHQ). | |
    | ...submissions welcome... | |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:35.448 seconds]