SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source
Date
> > mharris> GGI is fairly simple IMHO.  It will also be very powerful.
> > I can add the same lines to fbdev, now where does that leave us?
>
> Well, I can't say much about fbdev as I know nothing of it. I
> can say however that losing my console video and keyboard due to
> a SUID SVGAlib application gone astray is a big pain in the ass,
> and IMHO is due to a big LACK in the video/keyboard code in the
> kernel.

This is exactly the problem with so much of the GGI project work ,
they've duplicated the console code, the input handler code in
gpm and the frame buffer code, and they've done it without as much
thought for platforms and consideration and design as existing code.

90% of KGI is either duplication or a mistake. There are bits of GGI
that are worth adding to fb_dev - the chipset level drivers for PC's.
That right now is about all. The acceleration model basically isnt
there yet and only time will say if its good. Also kgi has no notion
of secondary surfaces and the like yet.

> Where can I find out information about fbcon? Do you have a URL?

Its in the standard 2.1.8x kernels, and in the m68k tree since 2.0.
The fb_dev portable Xserver has been in Xfree for ages. (Its in
drivers/hw with the other sets but doesnt use XAA right now).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.131 / U:0.064 seconds]