    SubjectRe: even the press likes us ;-)
    On Tue, Feb 24, 1998 at 04:53:25PM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > > BTW, why a MIPS instead of say an Alpha or a Sparc chip ? Is this linux,
    > > Sw/HW engineering related or politics/marketing/price consequences ?
    > > I agree this is certainly a bit out of scope of linux-kernel ...
    > Probably was picked based on price/performance... my guess would be
    > with emphasis on price. Alphas and SPARCs are both very expensive.

    Yes, that was the reason. The middle and lower class MIPS chips offer a
    very good price / performance ratio. The high end MIPS stuff is expensive
    similar expensive like other RISCs and also requires very expensive chipsets,
    cooling etc. while the CPU used in the Cobalt product gets about 30 degrees
    Celsius when loaded and stays at almost ambient temperature when idle.
    Means there is not even a heat sink on the CPU and therefore the the Cobalt
    system very silent - and reliable.

    The Qube is designed as a black box about which one does not need to know
    about the architecture. It's therefore quite independant of the actual
    CPU architecture used. The choice of the CPU was therefore only driven
    by the need to design the best product, not by politics and marketing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.022 / U:7.852 seconds]