    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

    linker> On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >> > 2.) is there any movement to include GGI into the kernel
    >> distribution? if > not, why not? is it *bad code* (tm) ?
    >>
    >> It's not a question of good or bad code, it's a question of what it
    >> buys, and whether people are using it and whether it can be
    >> considered stable and generic enough to warrant inclusion in the
    >> standard kernel. So far I haven't heard enough of people using it
    >> to even consider it.

    [snip]

    linker> It is a bit unfair (IMHO) to give something not included the
    linker> thumbs down because it has had little testing outside of it's
    linker> creators.. If it's not included in your kernel then it's
    linker> guarnteed to get little testing.. Catch-22..

    There is also the question whether GGI is the right approach or not!
    On the m68k we need to use framebuffers and thus framebuffer consoles,
    however I have not seen a lot of evidence that it will actually buy us
    a lot to tale the GGI approach rather than the nice and fairly simple
    `fbcon' style we use now. Bascially fbcon (and the abstract console
    system) allows for framebuffer consoles, VGA-like text mode consoles,
    consoles on weird devices such as TIGA boards and it allows for
    screen-mode switching in the kernel, which is necessary for the
    framebuffer devices. I can't see a lot of other graphics related
    issues that needs to go into the kernel.

    Hounestly, I do not follow the GGI development closely due to lack of
    time, but what I hear from the m68k guys who have been spending time
    playing with GGI I have not been overly impressed. Things might have
    improved a lot but I still have the impression that GGI is not heading
    for simplicity (no offense, I could be wrong), which I consider to be
    one of the key issues.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:2.281 / U:0.056 seconds]