SubjectRe: PROPOSAL: PC Speaker toggle
   Date: 	Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:01:02 -0600 (CST)
From: "Sean M. Kelly" <smkelly@zombie.org>

Let's face it, that nasty PC speaker is annoying as hell. *BEEEP BEEEP*
Most people that I know have already physically disconnected the thing
from their computer. I don't want to do that though. Can we make a file in
/proc/sys/kernel, possibly called 'speaker' which will store a bolean
integer used to enable/disable the PC speaker?

There's another way you can solve the problem. Simply uudecode this
file somewhere useful:

begin 644 nobell
C0F5L;"!H87,@8F5E;B!T=7)N960@;V9F+@H*&ULQ,3LP70H`
`
end

Then for each virtual console where you want to bell turned off (you can
do this on a per-VC basis!) simply type "cat nobell". This will turn
off the bell in that VC. You can have this in a startup script, or in
your .login, or whatever.

If you're using X, you just need to do "xset b off".

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.054 / U:0.832 seconds]