SubjectRe: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file
On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 1998-02-22T13:14:07,
> Emil Briggs <> said:
> > I don't know for certain but it sounds reasonable. Which brings to mind
> > another question -- do the buffer flushing routines consider hard disk
> > geometry when deciding which dirty buffers to write to disk and in what
> > order to write them? (I'm not referring to swap specifically here).
> Since the real geometry isn't known to the driver, this would be a useless
> thing to try.

An ext2 like approximation would work however. Or just
queueing up _everything_ at once for writing and have
the lowlevel drivers do the work, but that might generate
too much I/O at once.

| For Linux mm-patches, go to | "I'm busy managing memory.." |
| my homepage (via LinuxHQ). | |
| ...submissions welcome... | |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.080 / U:0.748 seconds]