    SubjectRe: GGI, EGCS/PGCC, Kernel source

    On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Peter-Paul Witta wrote:
    > hi!
    > 1.) when will the kernel-source be PGCC-ready, i.e., when will those PGCC
    > patches be supplied?

    The question is rather:
    - When will pgcc/egcs/gcc-2.8.x work according to the documentation?
    Right now I think that egcs is probably fairly close, although I don't
    know whether it is stable.

    At least I am not aware of _any_ issues in the 2.1.x kernel wrt compilers:
    I have not a single report of a problem that cannot be attributed to the
    compiler rather than the kernel so far. (This does not mean that there
    can't be any kernel problems, but it _does_ mean that I don't know of

    (There is a 2.0.x kernel problem that is known and fixed in 2.1.x, which
    makes me think that it is a non-issue: if you are willing to test untested
    compilers on your kernels you might as well be willing to run a 2.1.x
    kernel in the first place).

    > 2.) is there any movement to include GGI into the kernel distribution? if
    > not, why not? is it *bad code* (tm) ?

    It's not a question of good or bad code, it's a question of what it buys,
    and whether people are using it and whether it can be considered stable
    and generic enough to warrant inclusion in the standard kernel. So far I
    haven't heard enough of people using it to even consider it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:2.444 seconds]