SubjectRe: Untarred naming scheme of Linux kernels
On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> <$0.02>
>
> I didn't mean to make a holy war about this. All I asked was that when Linus
> tars up the source tree, tar up the "linux-x.x.xx" directory rather than the
> symlink itself. I make a new symlink every time I compile a new kernel, that's
> not a problem, however I'd just like to not nuke my last kernel sources before
> I compile a new kernel. Actually, just the other night I got 2.0.33 and
> forgot to nuke the linux symlink, and untarred some files over 2.0.29. So,
> this bit me in the butt. AFAICT there is no reason why linux needs to be
> named "linux" in the tar file, it also makes archive management (automated
> parallel untarring, etc) difficult. Final note, it just *seems* logical to
> name the tar file after the directory your're tarring, everyone else does,
> and I do too, why do it differently in Linux???
>
> </$0.02>

I agree completely. I have done the same in the past. I've
found that some kernels are infact tarred as "linux-2.0.xx",
whereas others are tarred as "linux". Since I trashed my kernel
a couple times, the first thing that I do now after downloading a
new kernel source tree is untar it in a temporary directory,
rename the root dir from "linux" to "linux-version" if necessary,
retar the archive and delete the original archive. This way all
of my kernel tarballs can be extracted at once without worrying
about namespace conflicts.

It would be nice though if linus would tar up the directories as
linux-x.xx.xx rather than the symlink.

It's always best to verify it for yourself however.

Mike A. Harris | Homepage: http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris
Computer Consultant |
System/Network Administrator - John Howard Society, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell: The #1 Late Night talk radio program.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.032 / U:0.592 seconds]