SubjectRe: VFS 64-bit clean? Not yet (was Re: large-file-system)
Date
> > But does it need to store _arbitrary_ 64-bit values, or does it just
> > need to store the offsets of the mapped pages used by the given Linux
> > machine? If the latter, then the original plan would have worked,
> > up until someone accessed a 1024G file.
>
> Think *HUGE*. I know people working with files, not filesystems of that
> size, though not under Linux and not via NFS.

UDF supports a _single_ filesystem spanned across up to 65535
pieces of media. This is intended for an optical jukebox, though
there is no restriction that any block of a file has to reside
on an particular piece of media.

I had an interview the other day, and they were interested in my
Linux UDF work because they have to store huge amounts of high
resolution uncompressed digital images. [They use Linux btw.]

So I think there is a need NOW for large fs support, and there
surely will be one in the future. It only makes sense to me to
start the planning now, rather than waiting for Intel's 64-bit
x86 compatible chip.

--
Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@netcom.ca