SubjectRe: New Feature Idea: Compress swap file
On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Russell Coker - mailing lists account wrote:

> Using a compression method that is designed for file access
> (large chunks of data being stored for long periods of time) probably isn't
> going to be very efficient for swapping (4k blocks of data that are stored for
> short periods and require fast access).

Incidentally, ext2 file compression as currently implemented in e2compr
does divide the file into chunks of N bytes, where 4K is one possible
value of N. I still doubt that it would in any circumstance be
as fast as the current swapping mechanism, though.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.064 / U:2.768 seconds]