SubjectRe: DHCPD v1.3 needs testing (fwd)

> What about 224.0.0.1 - all hosts and the like

Unfortunately, the DHCP and BOOTP protocols were pretty much cast in
stone before IP multicast became a reality. DHCPv6 actually uses
multicast, and all sorts of other handy IPv6isms, so that this problem
doesn't occur. But as far as DHCPv4 and BOOTP are concerned, the
protocol specifications require that the IP source address of an
unconfigured client be 0.0.0.0. If it's not, behaviour is undefined
(and could be inappropriate, since one can gain clues about where the
client is in the protocol based on the IP source address).

> Talk to Alexey Kuznetsov - this occured as a side effect of him changing
> the code to support "IPless" interfaces - in 2.0.x every network interface
> has to support IP, which is a slightly sad and dumb feature that 2.1.x. fixed

Indeed. Fixing that sounds like a win. Do you have an email
address for him?

> I did get the BPF filters put in however 8)

And thank you for that, even if I am griping about how you did it... :')

_MelloN_

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.121 / U:0.104 seconds]