SubjectRe: Clue on 2.0.33 crashes

On 19-Feb-98 Benjamin C.R. LaHaise wrote:
> On 19 Feb 1998, Camm Maguire wrote:
>> Greetings! This may help narrow down the source of the mysterious
>> 2.0.33 crashes. I can reliably freeze my 2.0.33 machine by running
>> xntpd in debug mode (with several -d command line flags) when it is
>> setup to poll the NIST time server via a modem. The call is
>> completed, several time packets are read, and the line is dropped
>> before the machine immediatedly freezes, with nothing but a hardware
>> reset to recover. right alt+ scroll lock shows nothing. When run
>> without the -d options, xntpd dies with signal 1 at the same point in
>> its synchronization step, but the machine is still alive.
>
> I'll just add that vanilla 2.0.33 on a DEC AlphaStation 200 4/166 will
> Oops as soon as xntpd is loaded. It's quite the bummer as I really need
> xntpd to make nfs tolerable, and I don't have time to debug it right now.

And I would add that we have found that prior to every freeze that our
systems have experienced under 2.0.33, we find a syslog message from xntpd
as follows:

Feb 11 09:18:46 acme xntpd[151]: kernel pll status change 89

These messages do not occur immediately prior to the crash, but we have
theorized that this status change is a precursor to the lockup and the
number of lockups that we have seen has been greatly reduced since we
stopped using xntpd and started using ntpdate with the -b option in a
cron job to sync the clocks.

Tom

---