SubjectRE: mysterious 2.0.33 crashes
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Klaus Lichtenwalder wrote:
> > > Ok, let's try another guess. It's down in the network (masq?) code.
> > > Maybe something that overwrites kernel structures? I dare to remind you
> > > that I had strange routing effects on my isdn setup (ducking... ;-)
> > >
> > > Looks like the hw is way too different, but everybody is more or less
> > > busy networking.
> >
> > If it's in masquerading or IP-multicasting, I'll find out soon since I disabled
> > these features yesterday because I don't really need them yet.
One question ... not NEEDED yet, but USING them or just enabled?

> And since then the machine is rock solid. This is what I disabled:

[Resume follows --JJ]:
> #
> # Networking options
> #
> -CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
> -CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
> -CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
> -CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_VERBOSE=y
> -CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
> -CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP=y
> -# CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG is not set
> -CONFIG_IP_ACCT=y
> CONFIG_IP_ROUTER=y
> -CONFIG_NET_IPIP=m
> -CONFIG_INET_RARP=m

2.0 masquerading has an huge loop at masq_expire(), which is
called by timer_bh() to check if expiring entry has a refence to it:
/* ============================================================== */
save_flags(flags);
cli();
/*
* If any other masquerade entry claims that the expiring
* is its control channel then keep the control entry
* Useful for long running data channels with inactive
* links which we don't want to lose, e.g. ftp.
* Assumption: loops such as a->b->a or a->a will never
*/
[loop over whole masq table]
restore_flags(flags);
This fat GC _maybe_ killing heavily-masqloaded/slow-CPU boxes (actually, I
don't know critical timing constraints for timer routines).
FYI in 2.1 I changed masq code to be sortirq/refcnt'ed; if needed I could
try to backport it to 2.0 :/

-- Juanjo http://juanjox.home.ml.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.081 / U:0.168 seconds]