    SubjectRe: ctrl-alt-del not handicap accesable?
    On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Linux Mailing list account wrote:
    > > Recently, a friend of mine (who only has one arm) was complaining to me that
    > > ctrl-alt-del did not shutdown/reboot his linux box. It took me a minute to
    > > realize that you must use the left control and alt keys -- the right ones
    > > don't work. He now uses his nose to reboot his system, but complains to me
    > > every time :)
    > >
    > > Is there any reason we are only allowing the left control and alt keys to be
    > > used?
    >
    > Not specifically, but you _shouldn't_ use ctrl-alt-del
    > to reboot your system. You should to a reboot or telinit 6
    > (when under Linux or RedHat) to make a clean reboot.
    >
    > Rik.

    Except in odd situations (when first starting, and right before shutdown),
    ctrl-alt-del just sends a signal to init. (SIGINT, according to the
    ctrlaltdel (8) manpage.) In these situations, a hard reboot is probably a
    Good Thing, as nothing else would work.

    -=- James Mastros

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:0.076 seconds]