SubjectRe: ctrl-alt-del not handicap accesable?
> Is there any reason we are only allowing the left control and alt keys to be
> used?

Pressing the right alt and right ctrl keys, along with the del key in the
group of keys above the inverted "T" on an AT-style keyboard works for me.
I suspect there's something wonky in the keymap or init your friend is
using. If he has trouble finding it, "su -c halt" or whatever should
work. If he doesn't have root access, maybe he can get this installed
(it's in /pub/Linux/Incoming on sunsite):

Begin3
Title: User-shutdown
Version: 1.1
shut down the system (without need for verification of
identity, etc, or other complexities required by 'sudo')