    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver

    >> >Can it really be repaired easily? I thought that the procedure was to go with
    >> >your tail between your legs to your vendor and ask nicely for a new set of BIOS
    >> >chips.
    >> >
    >> Some SuperMicro boards have a "rescue" procedure where if the flash
    >> upgrade fails you can load a bios image onto a floppy, and power cycle
    >> the system while holding down a certain key combination. I don't know
    >> for sure but I think that part of the BIOS is never replaced when
    >> using their utility to upgrade the flash. This part has enough
    >> functionality to read the image from the floppy and write it into
    >> the rest of the flash. This is just a guess though.

    On higher end boxes (Intel XXpress, etc) it use two flash parts, or a combo flash part. The
    back-up section has enough code to do the above, and usually requires a jumper to be

    The newer AMI BIOS will do this if you hold down Ctrl+Home on power-up. If the flash utils
    never try to overwrite this bootstrap part of the BIOS, it is a decent but not fool proof

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:15.052 seconds]