    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver
    Chip Salzenberg said:

    > According to Dr. Werner Fink:
    > > What's about mistakes? This interface is very easy and
    > > therefore it _is_ very dangerous, isn't it?
    > I agree. Perhaps the device should require that writing take place
    > at an offset greater than zero ("dd oskip=1k"?), [...]

    i'm just a kernel neophyte here, but since we're talking about hacks

    how about a sort of side-device that's used as a guard? this reminds
    me of the big paper-cutter machine i used in high school print shop --
    one had to press the left-button with the left hand and the
    right-button with the right hand, or the blade wouldn't come down. so
    there could be a /dev/bios and /dev/biosguard, the latter of which has
    to be open (for writing, of course) in order for a dangerous write to
    the former. like this:

    fd1 = open("/dev/biosguard", O_WRONLY);
    fd2 = open("/dev/bios", O_WRONLY);
    write(fd2, newbioscode, newbioscodelen);

    i'm assuming the bios driver could know which process has opened
    /dev/bios and make sure that same process has also opened

    obviously, this could work under /proc, too.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.019 / U:192.304 seconds]