    SubjectRe: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux
    On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:26:16 -0500, Aron Griffis <agriffis@css.tayloru.edu>
    writes:

    > On 26 Jan 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
    >
    > > The GNOME project (http://www.gnome.org) aims at providing a
    > > completely freely redistributable desktop environment for Unix systems
    > > (unlike KDE which is based on the non-free Qt libs).
    >
    > This is such a bogus argument. It's unfortunate that the sole driving
    > reason for GNOME over KDE is faulty. Qt is free for developing free
    > software. If you want to develop software for profit, you purchase the
    > commercial license. Is that so hard?
    >
    > I don't mean to offend anyone with this response, but I find it hard to
    > believe TrollTech isn't at all offended by the misleading claim made by
    > GNOME-supporters that Qt is not free, including the GNOME web-pages (last
    > time I checked).
    >
    > KDE is free and it works beautifully. GNOME is also free, but it is
    > presently vaporware. Yes, I have downloaded and compiled the latest
    > stuff, and it ain't too convincing. GNOME will probably succeed
    > eventually, not because it deserves to, but because the public is being
    > misinformed.

    Sorry to disagree but qt is not free. It is owned by Troll Tech. There
    is a *significant* difference here you have *obviously* missed. Troll
    Tech or whoever owns qt can cease its current distribution policy *at
    their discretion at any time*. Where will KDE be then?

    Bob

    BTW, Gnome is NOT vaporware. It just isn't finished yet.

    | Bob Taylor Email: brtaylor@qtpi.lakewood.ca.us |
    | Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a |
    | swimsuit. At 600 dpi you can tell it's wet. At 1200 dpi you |
    | can tell it's painted on. I suppose at 2400 dpi you can tell |
    | if the paint is giving her a rash. (So says Joshua R. Poulson)|