    Subject[OFFTOPIC] GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux
    This is a followup, and I hope conclusion, to the rash of messages that
    appeared after my praise for KDE and criticism for GNOME.

    (1) I have been well chastised for starting such a discussion on
    linux-kernel. I'm sorry for lowering the S/N ratio.

    (2) The primary problem is differing definitions and goals. I am content
    with a library on which I may develop non-profit software. For many of
    you, that is not sufficient, because you want to be free from that
    restriction. For mostly that reason, you reject Qt/KDE and determine
    to work on GNOME.

    (3) The distribution issues for Red Hat, Debian, etc. also fuel the GNOME
    fire, not without good reason. It is a desirable situation to have a
    completely free environment.

    (4) The frustration I vented in my last message stems from the split in
    free software development. It is unfortunate that there is such a
    disagreement, however it might be beneficial in the long run. It
    certainly isn't the first time multiple groups have formed with similar
    goals. And I might find myself jumping into the GNOME camp if I become
    more convinced with the open-source issue and the viability of GNOME as
    a desktop solution.

    With these comments I'd like to end this thread. Thanks everybody for the
    educated responses and tolerant attitudes.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:2.896 seconds]