SubjectIRQ delivery in x86 2.1.131 (and earlier).
Hi.
I guess this is probably the most appropriate place for this, I
couldn't really find any other places.
I've got a Dell OptiPlex GXpro machine on my desktop, with an
Adaptec AHA-2940A controller in. Now, the bios in this machine is
somewhat less than cooperative, and insists on putting the built-in
ethernet interface (3Com Vortex) on the same interrupt as the
Adaptec-controller. But this shouldn't be a problem, since both
drivers support sharing interrupts.
The problem is that when the scsi controller is initialized first,
and the ethernet card second, no interrupts are delivered to the
ethernet driver, and networking suffers. :) If on the other hand, I
compile the adaptec driver as a module, and inserts this in the kernel
_after_ configuring the ethernet driver (full configuration, so that
it claims the interrupt), everything seems to work correctly.
I guess the problem could be in the adaptec driver, but finding it
is sadly beyond what I'm capable of figuring out inside of the small
time available after changing diapers and work.

-Harald
--
Harald Nordgård-Hansen, <>< http://bukharin.hiof.no/~hnh/ <>< Phone/Fax:
Østfold College, School of Computer Sciences, Norway <>< +47 6910 4033/4002