SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
Excerpts from internet.computing.linux-kernel: 8-Dec-98 Re:
Internationalizing Linux by Geert Uytterhoeven@cs.ku

> Yes, just write your own fbcon-* routines that can handle 16-bit fonts, and
> adapt the generic console layer for 16-bit fonts and left-to-right and
> bottom-to-top display output.

Souds a lot more useful to me. Before we start trying to
internationalize the kernel messages, lets actually have a way to view
them (besides running X). I am guessing an external font manager would
be needed to handle fonts and such, who wants 10 megs of fonts loaded
into kernel memory. A way for fbcon request fonts to print stuff with,
but if they don't exist to "nicely" handle it. Actually removing all
the fbcon fonts from kernel space (except one to use during bootup)
would be nice. Or we could all just run X and let it handle the 16-bit
fonts....

Matt

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.054 / U:0.984 seconds]