    SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
    Horst von Brand writes:
    > I had to live with IBM codes for some time, and hated it every time I saw
    > one: No way to remember what it was all about, only way out was to grab the
    > (rather large) codes manual. And that was normally on loan to somebody else
    > trying to debug a random program. Just to find out it was way off target,
    > or a ridiculous informative message much of the time. People are _much_
    > better at remembering a phrase in an alien tongue than 5-letter codes.

    I've lived with them for some time too and I didn't mind. In VM/CMS
    you could type HELP SYS1840-21 and get an elaborate description of the
    error message with often suggestions for solutions etc.

    Not that I think it's a good idea for the linux kernel since putting
    such a thing together and maintaining it is a huge task with very
    limited use. Translating info files, FAQs and HOWTOs would be a far
    better place to invest time in.

    Lieven

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.047 / U:36.580 seconds]