SubjectRe: Linux login security approaches
thomasz@hostmaster.org wrote:

> > Some hours ago we had a discuss on Linux security, here at the University.
> > I mentioned that Linux has got a weak point : every user can write a fake
> > login program and even the system administrator can think that it's mgetty
> > and type the root password :( This kind of Trojan programs can be preceded.
> > We should define a key combination which is unmaskable by ANY process, and
> > login procedures should begin by pressing this combo. However I was told that
> > this is "an NT way" solution, but I disagree. (I don't know anything on
> > NT before I've hopefully never used it :) But the idea is great. The fact
>
> This is a required feature for C2 level security certification.
> Microsoft used to use the Ctrl-Alt-Del combo in Windows NT because it triggers an unmaskable interrupt.
> This feature will be gone in Windows NT Workstation 5.0 (2000).

Why will the feature be removed ? Thus losing C2 certifiability for
NT??

Linux needs some sort of "SAK" - someone else pointed out that it's
already doable with serial lines. How about with X? Does one simply do
"C-A-Backspace"?

How are people dealing with this at present?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.243 / U:0.480 seconds]