    SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
    Marcin Dalecki <dalecki@cs.net.pl> said:
    > Horst von Brand wrote:

    [...]

    > Never mind but most of the world doesn't care about english as much. In
    > fact please note that basic english in German usually results in an much
    > better understanding of this language than in for example Poland. Just
    > becouse the similarities between German and English are much higher than
    > for example any slavic language. Therefore don't underestimate please how
    > many people out there have a real problem with this. (It just happens
    > that on an english speaking list You don't get any sight of them ...)

    I live in a Spanish speaking country, having grown up in a German speaking
    family (not uncommon around here), and then learned English (sytudied in
    the US, in fact). I do know a bit about this...

    > > And nobody will bother (or dare) translate them, so I get to see messages
    > > in English (written by Alan Cox),

    > no problem

    I.e., just like today ;-)

    > > in Swedish (by Linus),

    > damn! (should be however managable if You know German...)

    No way, to really understand the exact meaning of the messages, you'll have
    to know a bit more than "that looks similar to words I know". One of the
    common jokes in Brazil is that words in Portugese mean something entirely
    different than in Spanish... and the difference between these languages is
    quite small.

    > > some in Italian
    [...]
    > > and Alexey in Russian... boy, will

    > Bez problemaw, Tawariszcz!

    > > _that_ be fun.

    The touble here is that I'd need a basic knowledge of a dozen quite
    different languages just to stand a fighting chance.
    --
    Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
    Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616