SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
Marcin Dalecki <> said:
> Horst von Brand wrote:

> Never mind but most of the world doesn't care about english as much. In
> fact please note that basic english in German usually results in an much
> better understanding of this language than in for example Poland. Just
> becouse the similarities between German and English are much higher than
> for example any slavic language. Therefore don't underestimate please how
> many people out there have a real problem with this. (It just happens
> that on an english speaking list You don't get any sight of them ...)

I live in a Spanish speaking country, having grown up in a German speaking
family (not uncommon around here), and then learned English (sytudied in
the US, in fact). I do know a bit about this...

> > And nobody will bother (or dare) translate them, so I get to see messages
> > in English (written by Alan Cox),

> no problem

I.e., just like today ;-)

> > in Swedish (by Linus),

> damn! (should be however managable if You know German...)

No way, to really understand the exact meaning of the messages, you'll have
to know a bit more than "that looks similar to words I know". One of the
common jokes in Brazil is that words in Portugese mean something entirely
different than in Spanish... and the difference between these languages is
quite small.
> > some in Italian
> > and Alexey in Russian... boy, will

> Bez problemaw, Tawariszcz!

> > _that_ be fun.

The touble here is that I'd need a basic knowledge of a dozen quite
different languages just to stand a fighting chance.
Horst von Brand
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616