SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
> Jes Sorensen wrote:
> > Oh and everybody should have a 2000 page translation table on paper?
>
> Well, actually, if I ever get my proposal completed, then
> the system events are stored as data without formatting strings
> at all. The console display program does the formatting.
> Your console display program will, presumably, contain the
> format strings of your favorite language. See? Simple. ;-)
> Panics, excepted, of course. I must keep saying that.

Noooooooo.. DEC did this in Ultrix, and it was horrible. Instead of
producing human-readable messages which could be logged into a human-
readable file, the kernel produce binary "events", which had to be
translated before they could be read.

As someone who has had to administer such machines (and still does,
on occaison -- we presently have about 50 Ultrix machines), I can
say that this approach has been a major pain for us. Besides being
annoying in its own right, it also made Ultrix different from every
other platform we support. I'd be really disappointed if Linux went
down the same path.

Systems Programmer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.228 / U:1.808 seconds]