SubjectRe: atomicity
Date
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> ext2fs tries to grab linear chunks of disk and divides the disk into cylinder
> groups to also help to maintain locality. The BSD ffs papers [McKusik et al]
> describe this sort of stuff well.

I am astonished to hear that ext2fs uses cyl groups.

I was of the impression that these were an artefact of ffs, and really
not useful anymore. With modern disks, chances are excellent that the
specific 3D geometry the file system sees is an utter fiction, and
that cylinder locality is thus more-or-less a meaningless concept.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox Systems Anarchist
"There's a New World Order coming every minute.