    SubjectRe: mozilla+XFree86+Linux-2.1.x => HARD LOCKUP
    >  Of course, there is a bug somewhere in XFree86 X server (S3V one).
    > Nevertheless, I consider this as an obvious evidence that there is a bug
    > in Linux kernel: application shouldn't be able to crash the system,

    Not really

    > kernel should throw an application away if it tries to do something nasty.

    XFree86 runs as root and directly takes over the video hardware. As such its
    running with all the power of the kernel. Thats a design decision the XFree
    people made.

    If you want a non priviledged Xserver look at the fb console and KGIcon
    projects. For XFree fixes check the current XFree 3.3.3, and if that still
    does it send them a bug report

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.017 / U:19.988 seconds]