SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
Frank Sweetser <> writes:
> might it not be easier if, instead of keying strictly on numbers, the error
> messages could be keyed on strings at least somewhat meaningful to the
> author? for example, instead of using %%KRN-SCS-55438 to mean a SCSI
> timeout, have %%KRN-SCSI-TIMEOUT? this should help with preventing
> conflicting keys, and make things easier for the author by not requiring
> him at least to look up all of the messages.

"Those who fail to learn VMS are doomed to repeat it."

Seriously, I always thought the legacy of the UNIX kernel was that
internationalization is unnecessary, because it isn't even English to
being with.

fsck kswapd init vmlinuz eth0 inode, /etc...

Mirian Crzig Lennox Systems Anarchist
"There's a New World Order coming every minute.
Make mine extra cheese."