    SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
    Date
    Frank Sweetser <rasmusin@paramount.ind.wpi.edu> writes:

    > might it not be easier if, instead of keying strictly on numbers, the error
    > messages could be keyed on strings at least somewhat meaningful to the
    > author? for example, instead of using %%KRN-SCS-55438 to mean a SCSI
    > timeout, have %%KRN-SCSI-TIMEOUT? this should help with preventing
    > conflicting keys, and make things easier for the author by not requiring
    > him at least to look up all of the messages.

    "Those who fail to learn VMS are doomed to repeat it."

    Seriously, I always thought the legacy of the UNIX kernel was that
    internationalization is unnecessary, because it isn't even English to
    being with.

    fsck kswapd init vmlinuz eth0 inode, /etc...

    --
    Mirian Crzig Lennox Systems Anarchist
    "There's a New World Order coming every minute.