SubjectRe: 960MB limitation for 2.2 ?
On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > I'd suggest, changing the late 2.1.1xx kernels NOW to support up to 2GB as
> > default. It won't break anything, most probably, but if it will, it's better
> > done now, too.
>
> Please don't: You've just limited single process' address space. If
> you have box with 1Gig ram and 2Gig swap, you will notice that single
> process can not grow bigger than 2Gig.

I think we should go for the idea of a variable PAGE_OFFSET,
where it's value will be automatically set to end_mem + 64M.

This way we can avoid all trouble about this problem for the
future and as somebody else already said calculating with a
variable is about as expensive as with a constant.

Well, less expensive in some cases but it disables some of the
tricks the compiler can take when it knows the value in question
at compile time. It's probably worth the trouble we save on this
list :)

cheers,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE