SubjectRe: NTFS partitions show up as OS/2 partitions.

> Hi people,
>
> I recently tore down a Windows NT 4.0 server that used NTFS on two
> partitions. When I ran (Linux) fdisk, I noticed that both partitions
> showed up as OS/2 HPFS partitions. The machine has never had OS/2
> installed on it!
>
> It doesn't matter much, since I deleted the partitions, and created an
> ext2 partition. But I can't stop wondering about it (anyway, now you
> know there might be some wierd problem). Anyone got a good explanation?

I believe (possibly due to politics between IBM and microsoft) that NT
and OS/2 use the same partition-type ID for their filesystems (7?). The
only way to distinguish between NTFS and HPFS is to actually examine the
filesystem. Some versions of fdisk believe this to be outside their domain.

-Brendan
--
Brendan Cully
brendan@kublai.com